It's a scary, chemical polluted world out there; one that my son, Kellan, will one day have to venture out into. I intend to make his world a little greener by taking easy, little baby steps.


Thursday, June 30, 2011

"We are not to throw away those things which can benefit our neighbor..."

First off, just did Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD- WOWZERS, my body is on fire! P.S. If you're interested in dieting and weight loss, check out my friend Jessica's blog- Losing to Win!

Secondly, I owe my readers an apology. I went on an unplanned hiatus due to some issues and obstacles on the home front. I am now in a position where I can blog freely and with confidence again. Despite the lack of posts, I have still been making little changes to contribute to my green conversion and will catch you up on said changes now and in the next few articles. Thanks to all of you who stood by, constantly checking for new updates. :)

Here is the newest post you've all been waiting for:

Recycling.
One of the most important aspects of a green conversion. And the truth is- it's simple. There are tons of materials that are able to be recycled: paper, cardboard, most thin plastics, glass and tin/aluminum cans, etc. All it takes is discipline.

Admittedly so, I used  to be terrible at remembering to recycle. Its the lazy part of me that feels it would just be easier to toss it in with the rest of the trash than make an extra trip down three flights of stairs to put something in the recycling bin. Now I have made things a little easier for myself. I have 2 bins by my door where I sort them as I empty them and then bring them down when they get full.

But it doesn't stop there. Here are some other ways to recycle :

- If you haven't already switched to reusable shopping bags, keep your plastic ones together. Most grocery stores have bins to recycle plastic bags, like this:
Photobucket

- Make sure to recycle hazardous material in the proper way. Some batteries (car, cell phone, etc) can be harmful to our environment if not properly disposed of!

-Recycling really just means to convert waste into usable material. You can recycle tons of things by yourself without putting them into recycling bins for pick up! Empty jars can be used to organize small pieces- screws, beads, buttons, etc. Empty cereal boxes (or any used cardboard, for that matter) can be cut into pieces and given to your kids to draw on.  There are tons of things that can be reused, all it takes it a little imagination.


I have become very strict with recycling in my home. I ensure that everyone in my family knows the designated spots for recyclable goods and encourage my guests to recycle as well. I just don't tolerate wasting resources anymore.  It's made me more creative with solutions for around the house. And its certainly made the world a little greener for Kellan ;)

For more info and facts on recycling, visit
Recycling Revolution

2 comments:

  1. I love the post & thank you so much for posting a link to my blog, too!

    We aren't doing too great with recycling because the kids haven't gotten the gist of it yet. I plan on getting a few different containers for garbage and showing them how to sort once money allows. I wish there was recycling in my apartment! It drives me nuts. Luckily, I can go just down the road to recycle :)

    I love that website too, thanks! Lots of great info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it! And no problem on the link! ;)

    Its so great that you're getting the kids involved! :)

    ReplyDelete