It's a scary, chemical polluted world out there; one that my son, Kellan, will one day have to venture out into. I intend to make his world a little greener by taking easy, little baby steps.


Thursday, June 2, 2011

Looking for a cheaper way to eat more veggies and fruits?

CSA is the answer! But what is a CSA program, exactly?
Well, CSA stands for "Community Supported Agriculture".

Basically, farmers make a certain amount of subscriptions available to the public. People purchase these subscriptions or memberships and are then entitled to a weekly share of the crops that the farm produces throughout the farming season, which is usually about 20 weeks, beginning in the spring.

I recently found out about these programs, while researching farmers markets. Unfortunately, most farms offering CSA's in my area have already sold out of their shares- but there's always next year! Any who, in my research I found that you can purchase a full share (3-4 people) or a half share ( 1-2 people). The price for these programs can be anywhere from $250-$600 per season. Some farms base pricing on a sliding scale determined by income and some even offer the option of paying a deposit and payments throughout the season. The farm I was especially interested in was called Scratch Farm in Cranston, RI and for my family size, I would pay $250. This is an amazing deal for FRESH and organic produce!

Normally, for 4-5 months worth of organic fruits and veggies for my family, I'd pay anywhere between $800-$950 in that time! Save $700 bucks? I'll take it!

Another advantage besides pricing is the fact that you're receiving these crops at their peak! Freshly picked directly from a farm and into your homes. No irradiation, no traveling through various states (or even countries) while the nutrients and vitamins are ruined!

Do your family a favor and look into a CSA program.

For more on CSA's, visit :
What is a CSA?


AND to search for CSA's (and farmer's markets)  in your area, visit:
Local Harvest !!

Keep an eye out for the next few articles in the works! An update on my organic farming adventure and an entry on recycling!

No comments:

Post a Comment