It's a scary, chemical polluted world out there; one that my son, Kellan, will one day have to venture out into. I intend to make his world a little greener by taking easy, little baby steps.


Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Pets are family, so they can go green too!

Now, if you don't know me, my cat, Beanie, is my first born daughter. ;) I treat her as such, so naturally, I want the best for her so she can be healthy.

To keep it simple, I'll cover the 3 main areas that are in most need of an overhaul: Waste, Food & Accessories.

 I never realized how many chemicals are in traditional cat litter, not to mention how bad some of the more popular types are for the environment.

The most common types nowadays are bentonite clay and silica gel. Both types claim to clump harder but they leave more of a fine dust. Not only is silica dust CARCINOGENIC but it can bother people with asthma, as well as harm your pets in ways such as lung infections and urinary tract problems. Not the kind of stuff I want my princess Beanie exposed to. Silica and clay also don't biodegrade well. There has also been proof that bentonite clay, when it's licked off the fur and travels to the digestive tract, absorbs potassium which inhibits the absorption of dietary iron. Bad news.

Luckily, if you are a cat owner, you can avoid all that. Simply switch to a green option such as recycled newspaper pellets or corn fibers. In my experience, I found that the newspaper pellets were difficult to scoop and often times left a mushy clump. Recently, I have discovered this:



This stuff rocks! It's made from 100% natural corn fibers. It does the job- clumps easily, and the baking soda helps to eliminate odor. With regular scooping, our litter box goes for over a week without smell! I also find there is less litter tracked all over the house. Lastly, this stuff isn't all that much more expensive than it's crappy alternative ;)

Another way you can go green is switching your pets food! Did you know that organic options for both cats and dogs are now widely available? Yup. And wholistic pet food is the way to go! Most cat and dog foods are made with corn and grain and any good veterinarian will tell you that cats and dogs are not meant to eat those things! Wholistic foods are made without grains and corn product to ensure a healthy pet! Also, by feeding your pets organic, you ensure that they're not eating animal by-product, which is basically meat from animals that is deemed unfit for human consumption, so why would you want to feed dear Rufus that crap? Gross. I'm currently in the process of switching Beanie's food, but she seems to enjoy it much more! I've been told to expect a more active cat and one with a healthier coat, so let's see! :)

Lucky for you devoted pet lovers, there are also many green alternatives for your pet's gear as well. Main pet retailers such as PETCO and Petsmart are selling eco-friendly pet beds:
Pet Dreams Eco-Friendly Dog Bed- interior is made from recycled plastic bottles!

PETCO sells a brand of organic pet toys called SimplyFido:



Check them out: http://www.simplyfido.com/toy_collections.html



Hemp collars, organic cotton pet clothing, all-natural grooming products- you name it, they've got it! PETCO has even released their own brand called Planet Petco that produces products made from safe and non-toxic materials!

Turning your pets into little earth-loving greenies isn't so hard or expensive, all it takes is a little research and effort!

For more you can do to go green with your pets, visit:
Treehugger.com's "How To Go Green: Pets".

5 comments:

  1. I love this! Where can I find this litter? My father is having issues with our current cat litter bothering his allergies & asthma, it's so bad he is on his inhaler 4x more than recommended, which is no good for his heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wanted to know if you had any suggestions for recycling. They don't offer it where I live and it really bothers me that we can't recycle but I don't know what to do.. Any input would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the litter at Target! :)

    Theres a number you can call that will help direct you to recycling sites: New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services- 603-271-3503.

    And this is the only other thing I could find (it doesnt say if there is a fee involved): http://dpw.milfordnh.info/pubwkxfer.htm

    Hope this helps! And perhaps write to your city hall and ask why or perhaps show interest in a city curbside recycling pick up program? If enough people want it, they'll be forced to deliver! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the numbers & link. I think I may put a call into city hall and possibly even put up fliers in all the apartment buildings suggesting everyone ask for recycling over here. Such a waste to not even bother :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sound like a good plan to me! Good luck and let me know how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete